Monday, March 12, 2018

Thoughts on Edvard Grieg's "Notturno"

One of the most exciting things about working at the Harold Washington Library Center is that, one floor above where I work, there are practice rooms for musicians. Each room has an upright piano in it. I've had some time to practice - and haven't done so nearly enough - but I'm getting there. I've been brushing up on a piece I learned back when I was about ten years old. It is by Edvard Grieg.


Edvard Hagerup Grieg, Norwegian Composer
1843 - 1907

The piece I've been practicing is "Notturno", which means little nocturne. A nocturne is a piece of music (or other artwork) that is supposed to suggest the night, or nighttime. For me, this piece brings to mind someone thinking deeply about something, coming to conclusions, re-playing situations in his or her head, deciding on certain things, changing ones mind and opinions on certain things as s/he remembers events, and all the while is pacing, pacing, excitedly, nervously, angrily, and lovingly, calmly, until s/he comes to a conclusion about the thing being thought about. This piece seems to be like a "thinking" piece. When I play it again, I'll imagine thinking at night.

(See a recording of me playing this piece here: Edvard Grieg's "Notturno")


- F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pigeons

Either they ate too much junk - spilled popcorn and Cheetos spilled over the abandoned alleyways - or instead consumed some sort of poison a...