Wednesday, April 10, 2019

We are peering into the gun barrel of time itself..."

A serendipitous signet of space-time and the body. 


For a while I had been eyeing this image by design artist Bruno Penabranca that I found randomly online. 


Strange, beautiful, and unique. Haunting. Not quite tribal. A diagram. It reminded me, and still does, of an open book, pierced through by ripples that ultimately would sink through what would be the book's spine. Or else, an arrow. An open V with a needle falling through. Letters. V. A. I. O. Rays of sunshine on water... the moon. Pages in flight. 

I loved what the artist named it: the "Event Horizon". Looking just a bit further, to Wikipedia and some other sites, I found out the meaning of Event Horizon:


The region where, once fallen through, things change and never are the same, no escape possible. Something within, completely mysterious. The image fascinated me more and more, and I finally decided to get it tattooed on my arm, EH towards me, the events leading outside, to where I point and stretch my arms and fingers:



As it turns out, the Event Horizon has never been seen. We've known its existence, but it has never been recorded. Until today. Today, the entire scientific world came out to announce that a real life photo was taken this month - April 2019 - by Event Horizon telescopes (eight total), and we now have an official recording of this phenomenon. This massive gravitational hole much bigger than our sun, that sucks in everything and never releases... here it is (bottom):


Maria Popova of Brain Pickings wrote early this morning:


"We are peering into the gun barrel of time itself..."

- F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pigeons

Either they ate too much junk - spilled popcorn and Cheetos spilled over the abandoned alleyways - or instead consumed some sort of poison a...