Thursday, June 27, 2019

An English Honeymoon: Day 2 (Part II)

I'll give you an idea of what our view from the hotel room looked like on those early mornings in Kensington:





Every morning was this bright. The last photo shows the picture from a small balcony up a tiny flight of stairs within our hotel room. It held a little bed which I used as my reading nook during the trip. The view looks exactly like it does in picture books doesn't it? Particularly Peter Pan. I'd like to think Tinker Bell was watching over us while we slept. I have photos of what our view looked like at twilight too... I'll share those soon. 

Continuing on from the last post: I was telling you about Kensington Square Gardens. As we continued to walk through the gardens, we somehow made our way out and into this huge avenue with gated mansions on either side of the road, the middle of the road split down (if I remember correctly) with a large island of plants. I don't know how long this avenue was... a mile? What we discovered as we walked past the mansions was that were we walking past embassies. We saw the Russian Embassy first, and then the Japanese Embassy... and so much more. Photos were not allowed to be taken (though I don't think anyone would have noticed if I did. Still, I held back.) It was really cool to see so many nations represented next to one another. Dan told me that once you step in past the gate of one of those mansions, you were technically in that very country. Mind-boggling and awesome. I think you are granted asylum there.

As we continued walking, we somehow made our way back to the gardens from the other side, and found... well we found Kensington Palace. The original home of the great Queen Victoria (of whom I'm a humongous fan). We found the Sunken Garden of the palace, which was not only a favorite of Queen Victoria's, but also of the late Princess Diana. I've told you about the English sun many times, and I'll say it again, the sun shone within the sunken, secret garden, feeding it, it seemed to me, mystical healing powers that none but only the truly righteous could extract. As we peered in through the surrounding low wall of the garden, I felt that some of that power was transferred to me, through my eyes, skin, my breath. It was gorgeous. The garden seemed not to be one for show, but for something else entirely, truly botanical, medicinal even... take a look:





In a couple of the photos you can see Kensington Palace in the background. In my next post I'll write about our visit there and how breathtaking it was. 

I hope everyone is having a wonderful morning!

- F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pigeons

Either they ate too much junk - spilled popcorn and Cheetos spilled over the abandoned alleyways - or instead consumed some sort of poison a...