Friday, September 20, 2019

An English Honeymoon: Day III, Part III

To conclude our third day in England, we ate at a pub: The Walrus & the Carpenter, located in downtown London. It's a place mostly for "suits" (businessmen) but we decided to go anyway, mostly because of the name. I looked for oysters on the menu, and wasn't surprised they weren't any... ;) 


The place was fairly full. We got our food. Steak for both of us, if I remember correctly. And it was really good! (BUT I know. I'm trying to not eat red meat. Really.) I drank some G&Ts, and we relaxed into the end of the day. Dan was a little uptight about being there at first, due to some insecurity (maybe for not being a big, important businessman himself), but I got him to calm down and just be there with me. 



I found this on the wall. I really appreciate signage like this, it's everywhere in England. Signage in England is a big thing. I love how on their sewers THAMES WATER is clearly embossed, so as to ward people off from throwing cigarette butts inside. 



It'd be really cool if spaces in the South Loop of Chicago were completely honest too, to read: THIS PLACE USED TO BE STRIPPERS ROW. You know, but classy like, framed like this, in history, to show how far the city's come. But people aren't ready for it in the U.S., and it's a shame. 


We tiredly took the tube back to our cozy hotel. There, while Dan was watching some British TV, I started to read "In the Land of Giants" by Max Adams, a really fabulous book (I've since finished it). Here's an IG post I shared with my friends that night:


We turned in early. Things were starting to settle in. I started to feel very, very good; a state of calm quite distinct from every other "vacation" I've taken. After all, this was our honeymoon. 


- F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pigeons

Either they ate too much junk - spilled popcorn and Cheetos spilled over the abandoned alleyways - or instead consumed some sort of poison a...